Performance & Installation Art Project of the Luciana Gallery
* This is a piece of Performance & Installation Work of Art specially designed for the Luciana Gallery. It aims at making use of scene backgrounds in order to transform imagination into Chinese characters.
* The use of scene backgrounds has probably been considered during the original intention of setting up the gallery. It extends the imagination of visionary beautifulness of the gallery’s collections. In addition, the use of Chinese characters not only includes the imagination of the scene backgrounds, but also draws back the extended imagination to solid pictures.
* The three Chinese characters “Sea • Emptiness •
Splendidness” made of special materials are fixed in three special locations
outside the gallery:
1. The Sea is located in a place where viewers can look down at the sea surface;
2. The Empty is put at a certain height in the air for viewers to face upward the sky;
3. The Splendidness is placed in the courtyard from where viewers can see the exhibition hall of the gallery.
* The explanation of the three Chinese characters:
1. Sea: waves of layer upon layer, is a pictographic character in Chinese language. It has two parts. Part one is “three-point” that pictographs spoondrift. Another half means “every” indicating the time repeating unceasingly.
2. Emptiness means of (1) the limitless space protected by extraordinary power; and (2) nonexistence.
3. Splendidness has various meanings: (1) fine; (2) flower; (3) work of art (painting); (4) China; (5) glory.
* In Buddha’s language: “Zero is Sex, and Sex is Zero”. “Sea • Emptiness • Splendidness”, Emptiness is the link and also the end.
* Chinese characters are pictographic - putting these three Chinese characters within a corresponding background of the image is only half way of the whole process. The production has used a traditional Chinese way of hanging curtain which creates a barrier that links the two spaces. Another half process is the performance of people going through the barrier.
* Time clues can be testified by the empty space along with people penetrating through the Chinese characters.
* The project of performance is:
1. The artist shall carry out the performance at the opening of the exhibition.
2. Audience can or must pass through these three Chinese characters - the passage of the time and space.